In this episode, Liza dives into the concept of self-sacrifice with Transformational Coach, Rita Hyland. When moms and care-takers self-sacrifice, they injure themselves and their kids. So why surrender and allow self-injury? For starters, we think we are helping our kids, but in actuality, we are harming them.
Self-sacrifice shows up when we give up a part of ourselves and make our children more important. Examples of self-sacrifice include the following:
- You don’t have any time for yourself.
- You can’t make space for a morning routine.
- You are over-extended and over-tired.
Sound familiar? Self-sacrifice is actually selfish and comes from a place of fear. When we are in self-sacrificing moments, we are displaying harmful behaviors such as:
- Not allowing our kids to figure things out on their own.
- Denying our children the space to be unhappy.
- Training them to believe they need something from us.
- Modeling the belief that our children don’t have what it takes to make it.
- Showing them that they are not capable.
Together, Liza and Rita discuss practical ways to stop self-sacrificing including:
- Take care of yourself first.
- Have faith your child will be fine and believe in them.
- Allow your child to experience their life experiences.
Subscribe to Podcast
Follow on Facebook and Instagram @veryhappystories
Download the free Thrive Guide for more of Liza’s best practices. Learn more at VeryHappyStories.com.
Connect with Rita Hyland: