15: What Are You Putting Off?
We have taken some time away from the last two impostor syndrome types from The Visibility Factor book to have some great conversations with leaders. Today we are going to talk about the 5th type which is called Delayer and Avoider – also known as procrastination.
The word procrastination means “the act of delaying or postponing something.” With this type of impostor syndrome more than any other, people will use any means possible to stop themselves from doing something that makes them feel vulnerable to judgment or criticism.
In this episode we discussed:
- Ways that people can leverage distractions to avoid things
- A client example from The Visibility Factor Book is shared
- Examples of what leaders may be putting off
- Why procrastination happens
- Coaching conversation with Aaron (a client) on his avoidance of influential conversations
- Ways to take action even though procrastination is happening
- Two simple ways to change your habits when it comes to delaying and avoiding things
Links to resources shared during the podcast:
- Inside the Mind of a Master Procrastinator Ted Talk by Tim Urban
- The 2-Minute Rule by David Allen
- Getting Things Done – The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen
- The Five Second Rule – Transform your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage Audiobook by Mel Robbins
THE VISIBILITY FACTOR WITH SUSAN M. BARBER
I look forward to connecting with you! If you liked The Visibility Factor, I would be so grateful if you could subscribe and rate it where you listen to podcasts! It helps the podcast get in front of more people who can learn how to be visible too!
Thank you to the team at Sheep Jam Productions for the amazing support of The Visibility Factor Podcast!